This lesson provides a brief overview of the theme: “To help the patient to regulate body temperature.”
It is expected that you have already gone through the lesson in anatomy and physiology reviewing temperature regulation. It is particularly important to study the curriculum and textbooks from the reading list for supplementary information. This study guide is designed to help you understand the subject matter, provide practice student questions and to assist you to deliver evidence based practice for managing patient care.
After studying this topic you should be able to:
- Explain the regulation of body temperature and factors which affect this.
- Explain normal and abnormal body temperature.
- Explain important observations and nursing measures for patients with changes in temperature. Observe and control the temperature and document normal temperature conditions and deviations from this.
- Help the patient to restore normal body temperature and prevent complications.
- Document observations and nursing actions